Sunday, May 16, 2010

Holy Hangover

Due to the amount of work left to do for my screenwriting project before its rapidly approaching due date, I spent the majority of the weekend at my group's apartment working on the script. Subsequently, and because the apartment is located about 40 minutes away by foot from my dorm, I was barely in the dorm and spent three consecutive nights sleeping on my friends' super comfortable mattress in the living room. However, this is not the focus of my story, but merely a prelude.

Sunday afternoon, after a particularly raucous Saturday night, I went on a brief excursion to the neighboring pueblo* of San Pedro de Cardeña. Never heard of it? Don't worry, it's not a big name. San Pedro de Cardeña lies amidst the gentle rolling hills of Castilla y León. It houses a beautiful monastery of the Order of the Cistercians where the remains of El Cid's daughters are buried. El Cid Campeador was a Castillian nobleman and military leader in the 1000s. He is the national hero of Spain as well as the subject of one of the most famous works of Spanish literature.


Trying to ignore my very light headache and bear the cold of the stone-walled chapels, I followed the monk around the monastery with the rest of the tour group, learning about history and listening to a live--albeit brief--Gregorian chant. Now that's one way to get rid of a hangover.

*town

No comments:

Post a Comment